Jazz In The Pines Student Clinic
Up your jazz playing by learning from some of the best jazz artists in the country – professionals who earn a living playing and teaching the next generation of musicians. In this summer jazz camp, you’ll get the opportunity to rehearse and perform daily in big bands and combos, as well as get specialized coaching on your instrument. The daily curriculum will include music theory, arranging and improvisational techniques, and master classes. Guest artists and faculty perform with students at concerts held at the end of each week.
Jazz thrives and grows when it is passed unselfishly from generation to generation. Come to the Idyllwild Summer Jazz Intensive and learn from a generation of greats. This two-week session will coincide with the return of Jazz in the Pines, giving students an exciting opportunity to learn from and see performances from Jazz greats in an intimate festival environment.
A recorded audition is required for acceptance. The priority audition deadline is February 15, but applicants are encouraged to register and audition as early as possible. Please submit your application and audition as soon as possible to secure your chance to be a part of this transformative and inspirational summer music experience. Secondary audition deadline is April 15 to fill any remaining open seats.
For the 2022 Summer Program Season we will be asking all applicants to submit an audition. This includes returning students from 2021 who attended Jazz in the Pines Student Clinic, Chamber Music Festival, and Songwriting. The audition helps our faculty and staff plan and prepare for chamber group assignments, class schedules, private lesson schedules and much more for the program. Information on how to submit audition materials will be posted in November.
For auditions, we are interested in seeing the applicant’s level of accomplishment and musical knowledge. We require 2-3 video submissions as described below. Backing track or rhythm section welcome, but not required:
Video files (30-60 seconds each): mp4, MOV formats
- Video 1: Ensemble playing
Student playing written jazz literature with school ensemble (rehearsal or performance)
- Video 2: Improvisation
Student improvising on F or Bb blues in a swing style; 2-3 choruses
Backing tracks are permitted.
- Video 3: (Optional)
Student may submit a third video displaying additional ensemble and/or improvisational skills (should be different repertoire from the first two videos)
Applicants may be asked to demonstrate knowledge of scales and chords.
- Complete an online Camper application. Make sure to submit the application.
- Once you have completed the Camper Application, your application will be reviewed within 5 days by a member of the Enrollment team. At this time, you will be charged the $50 application fee and receive an email with a link to the Submittable audition application for you to submit your audition.
- Complete the Submittable application and provide an email address for your teacher recommendation form within Submittable.
New this year, we are using the platform Submittable to receive all auditions for the 2022 Summer Program (a universal platform utilized for exhibitions, contests and even university and job applications). It is very easy to use. You will be prompted to setup a free Submittable account with your email. This account can be used for any future open calls you apply to at Idyllwild Arts and beyond!
Acceptance for most auditioned intensives will be made on a rolling basis, so it’s a good idea to get auditions in early.
Honor Music Group Verification Instructions:
- Log on to your CampInTouch account (parent’s account*).
- Click on the yellow pencil icon to go to the Forms & Documents page.
- You will then need to complete the following forms:
- Honor Music Group Verification Form** (if applicable):
Upload a document in PDF format verifying your membership in an All-State or Honor ensemble using the Upload Honor Music Group Verification by clicking in the arrow on the right-hand side of the form.
See Audition Requirements above for intensive-specific audition video/audio requirements and details.
*Forms & Documents are only available on the parent’s CampInTouch account, not the camper’s account.
** Detailed instructions for uploading PDF documents are available on your CampInTouch account.
If you have any questions, we would be happy to help! Contact the Summer Registration Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (951) 468-7265.
Plan to bring your own folding music stand and equipment marked with your name (i.e. drums, amps, etc.). Idyllwild Arts cannot provide instruments or personal equipment.
Jazz Instrumental Intensive Required Attire
- Casual dress for all concerts
- Collared shirt or blouse (short sleeve is fine)
- Long slacks or dresses/skirts below the knee
A typical day starts off with a morning of classes, taught by acclaimed jazz performers and educators. At 9:00, younger students attend classes in music theory; more advanced students attend classes in arranging and composing, which culminates in performances of student work. At 10:00, students attend master classes on their specific instruments, where specific playing techniques are discussed in detail. At 11:00, students stay with their instrument groupings, but shift emphasis to Jazz Improvisation; under the guidance of their instructors, students play improvised solos every day.
After lunch, the emphasis shifts to ensemble rehearsals, with the faculty becoming directors; big band and combo (small ensemble rehearsals) occur throughout the afternoon. Students are placed in ensembles according to their ability and experience (determined by an audition on the first day of camp).
Tom Hynes (Auxiliary Jazz Chair/Guitar) is an educator, guitarist and composer. Tom is a full time Professor of Music at Azusa Pacific University, and also serves on the faculties of Idyllwild Arts Academy and St. Catherine’s Academy. Credits include Hubert Laws, Liza Minelli, Kim Richmond Concert Jazz Orchestra, Pacific Symphony, and the US Department of State. He has composed music for the Smithsonian Institute and the Orange County Museum of Art. Jazz recordings include The Sun Shop and Tom Hynes and Marshall Hawkins: Live at The Fret House.
The full list of faculty will be available in November 2021.
There is an Honor Music discount for students who participate in regional, state and national honor groups. Students who participate in regional, state and national honor groups qualify for an automatic discount of $1,200 through February 15, 2022. After February 15, 2022, the discount will lower to $1,000 through April 15, 2022.
No Honor Awards are available after April 15. Additional financial aid based on financial need is available.
Steps to Enrollment Process for Honor Discount:
- Fill out the online application using the Register Now button on our website.
- In the application, we ask if your child is in an honor group or band.
- Please fill in the Honor band questions when prompted in the application.
- You will not see the deduction for the Honor Music discount when you get to the payment page – as this is a discount, it must be manually applied by a member of the registration team.
- If you intend to pay in full, please select the pay in full button when you complete the application.
- When you submit your application, your card will not be charged immediately, as music students’ applications need to be reviewed for:
- Instrument availability
- Audition requirements (if applicable for the program)
- Honor Music Group verification – we ask that you provide verification that your child is part of the Honor group you listed in the application.
- Once we receive the application, we will review it within a week and:
- Send you email instructions for verifying Honor group participation
- Send you email instructions for completing the audition (If applicable)
- We will then enroll your child and apply the Honor discount at this time.
The instrument listing is for the purposes of a student’s primary assignment in a big band; there is flexibility as to what a student would play in a master class or combo.
|Guitar – Electric||5||Open|
|Sax – Alto||5||Open|
|Sax – Baritone||2||Open|
|Sax – Tenor||5||Open|
|Trombone – Tenor||8||Open|
|Trombone – Bass||2||Open|
The instrument breakdown listed above is a projection of the intended enrollment for the program – actual final enrollment may vary slightly from this at the conductor’s discretion.
July 3-16, 2022
Performance information to be announced.
Tuition, room and board:
Day student tuition:
Enrollment limited to 60 students.
Total capacity includes Residential and Day Students.
Tom Hynes & Faculty TBA