Chamber Music Intensive
Immerse yourself in a chamber music summer camp led by Idyllwild Arts Academy instructors and professional chamber musicians. The week will include group coaching, individual instrument lessons, masterclasses with coaches and a featured guest chamber group, and performances from guest artists, faculty and fellow students. The curriculum will include Movement and Music “Body Mapping,” focused on performance injury awareness; Performance Techniques, highlighting on-stage interaction, body language and audience connection; and Ensemble Sight-Reading. Open to Violin (10), Viola (5), Cello (7), and Piano (2).
A recorded audition is required for acceptance. The priority audition deadline is February 15, but applicants are encouraged to register and audition as early as possible. Please submit your application and audition as soon as possible to secure your chance to experience this transformative and inspirational summer music experience. The secondary audition deadline is May 15 to fill any remaining open seats.
For the 2022 Summer Program Season we will be asking all applicants to submit an audition. This includes returning students from 2021 who attended Jazz in the Pines Student Clinic, Chamber Music Festival, and Songwriting. The audition helps our faculty and staff plan and prepare for chamber group assignments, class schedules, private lesson schedules and much more for the program. Information on how to submit audition materials will be posted in November.
A recorded audition is required for acceptance. After being successfully accepted into the program, students will then audition for chair or ensemble placement on the first day of the program.
Priority Audition Deadline: February 15, 2022
Secondary Audition Deadline: May 15, 2022
A recorded audition is required for acceptance. The priority audition deadline is February 15, but applicants are encouraged to register and audition as early as possible. Please submit your application and audition as soon as possible to secure your chance to participate in this transformative and inspirational summer music experience. The secondary audition deadline is May 15 to fill any remaining open seats.
Audition material can be submitted in video or audio recording form, with or without accompaniment. Performance tempos and repertoire selections should highlight the student’s ability to play accurately and overall musicianship.
- One 3 octave scale
- Two arpeggios (your choice of key)
- One or more pieces demonstrating technical accomplishment (something fast) and interpretive ability (something slow and legato)
- One piano solo of your choice that demonstrates interpretive skills in both slow and fast passages
- Any piece of ensemble repertoire demonstrating collaborative skills with another instrument or instruments
- Complete an online Camper application. Make sure to submit the application.
- Once you have completed the Camper Application, your application will be reviewed within 5 days by a member of the Enrollment team. At this time, you will be charged the $50 application fee and receive an email with a link to the Submittable audition application for you to submit your audition.
- Complete the Submittable application and provide an email address for your teacher recommendation form within Submittable.
New this year, we are using the platform Submittable to receive all auditions for the 2022 Summer Program (a universal platform utilized for exhibitions, contests and even university and job applications). It is very easy to use. You will be prompted to setup a free Submittable account with your email. This account can be used for any future open calls you apply to at Idyllwild Arts and beyond!
Acceptance for most auditioned intensives will be made on a rolling basis, so it’s a good idea to get auditions in early.
Honor Music Group Verification Instructions:
- Log on to your CampInTouch account (parent’s account*).
- Click on the yellow pencil icon to go to the Forms & Documents page.
- You will then need to complete the following forms:
- Honor Music Group Verification Form** (if applicable):
Upload a document in PDF format verifying your membership in an All-State or Honor ensemble using the Upload Honor Music Group Verification by clicking in the arrow on the right-hand side of the form.
See Audition Requirements above for intensive-specific audition video/audio requirements and details.
*Forms & Documents are only available on the parent’s CampInTouch account, not the camper’s account.
** Detailed instructions for uploading PDF documents are available on your CampInTouch account.
If you have any questions, we would be happy to help! Contact the Summer Registration Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (951) 468-7265.
Chamber Music Intensive Required Attire
Concert clothing is CONCERT BLACK. Students can mix and match from this list as desired:
- Black button-down, blouse, or formal shirt (no sleeveless tops)
- Black pants, skirt, or dress (below the knees)
- Black suit/tuxedo and white shirt with black bow tie
- Black dress shoes and socks
There is an Honor Music discount for students who participate in regional, state and national honor groups. Music students who participate in regional, state and national honor groups qualify for an automatic discount of $600 through May 15.
No Honor Awards are available after May 15. Additional financial aid based on financial need is available.
Steps to Enrollment Process for Honor Discount:
- Fill out the online application using the Register Now button on our website.
- In the application, we ask if your child is in an honor group or band.
- Please fill in the Honor band questions when prompted in the application.
- You will not see the deduction for the Honor Music discount when you get to the payment page – as this is a discount, it must be manually applied by a member of the registration team.
- If you intend to pay in full, please select the pay in full button when you complete the application.
- When you submit your application, your card will not be charged immediately, as music students’ applications need to be reviewed for:
- Instrument availability
- Audition requirements (if applicable for the program)
- Honor Music Group verification – we ask that you provide verification that your child is part of the Honor group you listed in the application.
- Once we receive the application, we will review it within a week and:
- Send you email instructions for verifying Honor group participation
- Send you email instructions for completing the audition (If applicable)
- We will then enroll your child and apply the Honor discount at this time.
The instrument breakdown listed above is a projection of the intended enrollment for the program – actual final enrollment may vary slightly from this at the conductor’s discretion.
July 3 – July 9, 2022
Student Performance Saturday July 9th, 2pm
Tuition, room and board:
Day student tuition:
Enrollment limited to 23 students.
(Total capacity includes Residential and Day Students)
Doug Ashcraft, Heather Netz, Rita Andrade, Eric Byers, Jonathan Moerschel, Todor Pelev