Chamber Music Intensive
Immerse yourself in a chamber music summer camp led by Idyllwild Arts Academy instructors and professional chamber musicians. The week will include group coaching, individual instrument lessons, masterclasses with coaches and a featured guest chamber group, and performances from guest artists, faculty and fellow students. The curriculum will include Performance Techniques, highlighting on-stage interaction, body language and audience connection; and Ensemble Sight-Reading. Open to Violin (10), Viola (5), Cello (7), and Piano (2).
A recorded audition is required for acceptance. The priority audition deadline is February 1, but applicants are encouraged to register and audition as early as possible. Please submit your application and audition as soon as possible to secure your chance to experience this transformative and inspirational summer music experience. The secondary audition deadline is May 15 to fill any remaining open seats.
We ask that all students submit an audition video, regardless of participation in past programs. The video helps our faculty and staff plan and prepare for group assignments, class schedules, private lesson schedules and much more for the music programs.
A recorded audition is required for acceptance. After successfully completing the CampInTouch application for the 2023 Chamber Music Intensive, students will then submit a recorded video. There is a $50 non-refundable application fee due at the time of audition.
Priority Audition Deadline: February 1, 2023
First round evaluation will take place shortly after this date. You will be notified of acceptance as soon as evaluations are complete.
Secondary Audition Deadline: May 15, 2023
After Feb.1, auditions will be accepted on a rolling basis until May 15. Please allow up to two weeks for a response to allow time for faculty evaluation.
A recorded audition is required for acceptance. The priority audition deadline is February 1, but applicants are encouraged to register and audition as early as possible to secure your chance to participate in this transformative and inspirational summer music experience. The secondary audition deadline is May 15 to fill any remaining open seats.
Audition material can be submitted in video or audio recording form, with or without accompaniment. Performance tempos and repertoire selections should highlight the student’s ability to play accurately and overall musicianship.
- One 3 octave scale
- Two arpeggios (your choice of key)
- One or more pieces demonstrating technical accomplishment (something fast) and interpretive ability (something slow and legato)
- One piano solo of your choice that demonstrates interpretive skills in both slow and fast passages
- Any piece of ensemble repertoire demonstrating collaborative skills with another instrument or instruments
- Complete an online Camper application. Make sure to submit the application.
- Once you have completed the Camper Application, your application will be reviewed within 5 days by a member of the Enrollment team. At this time, you will be charged the $50 application fee and receive an email with a link to the Submittable audition application for you to submit your audition.
- Complete the Submittable application and provide an email address for your teacher recommendation form within Submittable.
We use the platform Submittable to receive all auditions for the Summer Program (a universal platform utilized for exhibitions, contests and even university and job applications). It is very easy to use. You will be prompted to set up a free Submittable account with your email. This account can be used for any future open calls you apply to at Idyllwild Arts and beyond!
Acceptance after Feb.1 will be made on a rolling basis, so it’s a good idea to get auditions in early.
Chamber Music Intensive Required Attire
Concert clothing is CONCERT BLACK. Students can mix and match from this list as desired:
- Black button-down, blouse, or formal shirt (no sleeveless tops)
- Black pants, skirt, or dress (below the knees)
- Black suit/tuxedo and white shirt with black bow tie
- Black dress shoes and socks
Honors Music Discounts
Music students who participate in regional, state and national honor groups qualify for a discount of up to $1,200 for a two-week program and up to $600 for a one-week music program. Additional financial aid based on financial need is available.
Enrollment Process for Honor Discount:
- Fill out the online application using the Register Now button on our website.
- In the application, we ask if your child is in an honor group or band.
- Please fill in the Honor band questions when prompted in the application.
- You will not see the deduction for the Honor Music discount when you get to the payment page – as this is a discount, it must be manually applied by a member of the registration team.
- When you submit your application, your card will not be charged immediately, as music students’ applications need to be reviewed for:
- Instrument availability
- Audition requirements (if applicable for the program)
- Honor Music Group verification – we ask that you provide verification that your child is part of the Honor group you listed in the application.
- Once we receive the application, we will review it within a week and:
- Send you email instructions for verifying Honor group participation
- Send you email instructions for completing the audition
- After the audition is reviewed and your child is accepted, we will manually enroll your child and apply the Honor Discount.
To verify your child’s participation in an Honor Ensemble:
- Log on to your CampInTouch account (parent’s account*).
- Click on the yellow pencil icon to go to the Forms & Documents page.
- You will then need to complete the following forms:
- Honor Music Group Verification Form**:
Upload a document in PDF format verifying your membership in an All-State or Honor ensemble using the Upload Honor Music Group Verification by clicking in the arrow on the right-hand side of the form. (Examples of verification include a concert program, acceptance letter, or participation certificate.)
*Forms & Documents are only available on the parent’s CampInTouch account, not the camper’s account.
** Detailed instructions for uploading PDF documents are available on your CampInTouch account.
If you have any questions, we would be happy to help! Contact the Summer Registration Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (951) 468-7265.
*The instrument breakdown listed above is a projection of the intended enrollment for the program – actual final enrollment may vary slightly from this at the conductor’s discretion.
13 – 17
July 2 – July 8, 2023
One week Session
Saturday July 8, 2023
Time and location TBD
Tuition, Room and Board
Day Student Tuition
Health & Safety Fee
Total Capacity includes Residential and Day Students