Chamber Music Intensive
Immerse yourself in a chamber music summer camp led by Idyllwild Arts Academy instructors and professional chamber musicians. The week will include group coaching, individual instrument lessons, masterclasses with coaches and a featured guest chamber group, and performances from guest artists, faculty and fellow students. The curriculum will include Movement and Music “Body Mapping,” focused on performance injury awareness; Performance Techniques, highlighting on-stage interaction, body language and audience connection; and Ensemble Sight-Reading. Open to Violin (10), Viola (5), Cello (7), and Piano (2).
A recorded audition is required for acceptance. The priority audition deadline is February 15, but applicants are encouraged to register and audition as early as possible. Please submit your application and audition as soon as possible to secure your chance to experience this transformative and inspirational summer music experience. The secondary audition deadline is April 15 to fill any remaining open seats.
For the 2022 Summer Program Season we will be asking all applicants to submit an audition. This includes returning students from 2021 who attended Jazz in the Pines Student Clinic, Chamber Music Festival, and Songwriting. The audition helps our faculty and staff plan and prepare for chamber group assignments, class schedules, private lesson schedules and much more for the program. Information on how to submit audition materials will be posted in November.
A recorded audition is required for acceptance. After being successfully accepted into the program, students will then audition for chair or ensemble placement on the first day of the program.
Priority Audition Deadline: February 15, 2022
Secondary Audition Deadline: April 15, 2022
A recorded audition is required for acceptance. The priority audition deadline is February 15, but applicants are encouraged to register and audition as early as possible. Please submit your application and audition as soon as possible to secure your chance to participate in this transformative and inspirational summer music experience. The secondary audition deadline is April 15 to fill any remaining open seats.
Audition material can be submitted in video or audio recording form, with or without accompaniment. Performance tempos and repertoire selections should highlight the student’s ability to play accurately and overall musicianship.
- One 3 octave scale
- Two arpeggios (your choice of key)
- One or more pieces demonstrating technical accomplishment (something fast) and interpretive ability (something slow and legato)
- One piano solo of your choice that demonstrates interpretive skills in both slow and fast passages
- Any piece of ensemble repertoire demonstrating collaborative skills with another instrument or instruments
After you have completed your online application, find and complete the forms listed below on the Forms & Documents page of your CampInTouch account. Acceptance for most auditioned intensives will be made on a rolling basis, so it’s a good idea to get auditions in early.
- Log on to your CampInTouch account (parent’s account*).
- Click on the yellow pencil icon to go to the Forms & Documents page.
- You will then need to complete the following forms:
- Music Audition Form:
This form will ask you for links to your audition video/audio, a brief description of your music experience or your music résumé, and some additional details. You will electronically fill out and submit this form using the CampInTouch interface.
- Teacher Recommendation Form:
Complete Part I and give the form to your teacher to complete Part II.
Your student’s teacher should either:
- Return the form to you, so your parents can upload it to CampInTouch in PDF format (Most preferred method)**
- Email this form to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mail the form to the Summer Registration Office at P.O. Box 38, Idyllwild, CA 92549-0038.
- Honor Music Group Verification Form** (if applicable):
Upload a document in PDF format verifying your membership in an All-State or Honor ensemble using the Upload Honor Music Group Verification by clicking in the arrow on the right-hand side of the form.
See Audition Requirements above for intensive-specific audition video/audio requirements and details.
*Forms & Documents are only available on the parent’s CampInTouch account, not the camper’s account.
** Detailed instructions for uploading PDF documents are available on your CampInTouch account.
If you have any questions, we would be happy to help! Contact the Summer Registration Office by email at email@example.com or by phone at (951) 468-7265.
Chamber Music Intensive Required Attire
Concert clothing is CONCERT BLACK. Students can mix and match from this list as desired:
- Black button-down, blouse, or formal shirt (no sleeveless tops)
- Black pants, skirt, or dress (below the knees)
- Black suit/tuxedo and white shirt with black bow tie
- Black dress shoes and socks
There is an Honor Music discount for students who participate in regional, state and national honor groups. Music students who participate in regional, state and national honor groups qualify for an automatic discount of $1,200 through February 25, 2021. After February 25, 2022, the discount will lower to $1,000 through April 15, 2022.
No Honor Awards are available after April 15. Additional financial aid based on financial need is available.
Steps to Enrollment Process for Honor Discount:
- Fill out the online application using the Register Now button on our website.
- In the application, we ask if your child is in an honor group or band.
- Please fill in the Honor band questions when prompted in the application.
- You will not see the deduction for the Honor Music discount when you get to the payment page – as this is a discount, it must be manually applied by a member of the registration team.
- If you intend to pay in full, please select the pay in full button when you complete the application.
- When you submit your application, your card will not be charged immediately, as music students’ applications need to be reviewed for:
- Instrument availability
- Audition requirements (if applicable for the program)
- Honor Music Group verification – we ask that you provide verification that your child is part of the Honor group you listed in the application.
- Once we receive the application, we will review it within a week and:
- Send you email instructions for verifying Honor group participation
- Send you email instructions for completing the audition (If applicable)
- We will then enroll your child and apply the Honor discount at this time.
The instrument breakdown listed above is a projection of the intended enrollment for the program – actual final enrollment may vary slightly from this at the conductor’s discretion.
July 3 – July 9, 2022
Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 11:00am
Tuition, room and board:
Day student tuition:
Enrollment limited to 23 students.
(Total capacity includes Residential and Day Students)
Doug Ashcraft, Heather Netz